ACC 5-YEAR STANDINGS
CHN's annual 5-year ranking answers a simple question is in a simple manner: How do ACC teams stack up over the last five years?
Teams get points for league wins, making the postseason (NIT or NCAA) and winning games in the Big Dance. NIT wins are meaningless here, as are non-conference wins. Also, league tournaments wins are not taken into account. (An original trial-scoring system included points for conference tourney wins. But the flukish nature of these tourney's did more harm than hurt: ie, 2008 Georgia, 2006 Syracuse, and 2004 Maryland ended up getting too much credit despite the reality that they were mediocre to sub-par teams.)
100 total points is set up to be the equivalent of batting .300 in baseball.. anything above and beyond is all-world stuff. 50 points is mediocre and you only start to get bad below 40 points.
|Champs||NCAA 32||Elite 8||Final 4||Champs||46||Post Pts.|
|Sweet 16||2nd Round||1st Round||2nd Round||Sweet 16||22||Post Pts.|
|2nd Round||Sweet 16||2nd Round||X||1st Round||16||Post Pts.|
|NIT||NIT||2nd Round||NIT||2nd Round||11||Post Pts.|
|5||7||Wake For.||13||3||5||7||11||39||80||49||Win %|
|2nd Round||NIT||X||X||1st Round||7||Post Pts.|
|NIT||NIT||NIT||1st Round||1st Round||7||Post Pts.|
|6||8||VA Tech||8||4||10||9||7||38||80||48||Win %|
|NIT||X||2nd Round||NIT||NIT||7||Post Pts.|
|X||NIT||NIT||NIT||1st Round||5||Post Pts.|
|9||6||NC State||7||10||5||4||6||32||80||40||Win %|
|Sweet 16||2nd Round||NIT||X||X||11||Post Pts.|
|NIT||NIT||X||2nd Round||NIT||7||Post Pts.|
|X||NIT||2nd Round||X||X||5||Post Pts.|
|12||4||GA Tech||8||4||8||7||2||29||80||36||Win %|
|2nd Round||X||1st Round||X||X||6||Post Pts.|
Was = Last year's rankig
-Ties are broken by favoring conference winning %
- UNC has officially blown past Duke in terms of ACC dominance.
- BC is solidly in 3rd. They're the only other team besides UNC & Duke to have won 9 league games in 3 of the last 4 years.
- Georgia Tech plummets like a stone now that a dismal 2 win season comes onto the books, and their surprising 2004 Finals run comes off.
- Georgia Tech has won the least amount of ACC games over the last 5 years.
- NC State's slow demise continues, and with their 2005 Sweet 16 trip coming off the books this year, they could fall even farther.
NIT = 1
NCAA 1st Round = 2
NCAA 2nd Round = 4
Sweet = 6
Elite 8 = 8
Final Four = 10
Final = 11
Champs = 12
Other 5-Year Rankings