A rundown of some of today's coaching news:
- UAPB head coach Van Holt resigned after six seasons at the helm. The Golden Lions finished 13-18 this year, and Holt's overall record was 50-124. This record might not look good but consider that UAPB was 4-51 in the two seasons before Holt took over.
- Besides the firing of Barry Hinson and Tim Welsh over the weekend, other relatively prominent firings in recent days include Toledo's Stan Joplin (just one season removed from being MAC Coach of the Year) and TCU's Neil Dougherty.
Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils
Southwestern Athletic Conference (17-15, 12-6)
Big Wins: 2/9 Alabama State (72-60), 3/1 at Jackson State (74-73), 3/15 vs Jackson State (59-58)
Southwestern Athletic Conference (20-10, 15-3)
Big Wins: 1/12 Mississippi Valley State (71-55), 2/16 at Alabama A&M (85-70), 3/8 Jackson State (103-83)
12-14 (8-7 SWAC)
Three Stars of The Day
We handpick the best performances of the day, whether it be stat lines that make you drool, or clutch performances. Either way, its our way of showing the love:
Jackson State Tigers
Today's Dribble is all about random thoughts..
Colorado and Minnesota are the lone BCS teams under .500 at this point. The Buffs are 3-6 and have even lost 4 home games already. Richard Roby (even if he was never going to be a 1st round pick) probably wishes he went pro last summer. The Gophers are 5-8, but at least have been playing decent ball of late, having won 3 of 6.
The SWAC and the MEAC don't even have one .500 team amongst their 21 members. Alabama A&M and Florida A&M are officially 5-5 and 6-6 respectively, but each of those records include 3 wins over non-D1 teams. So basically no one is close to being .500 against D1 teams in those leagues..
Listening to Dukie V, you'd think Marquette's win over the Blue Devils last night was the biggest in the program's history. The fact is though that Marquette easily had the best player on the court in point guard Dominic James. James easily outclassed Greg Paulus with 25 and 7 assists as compared to his counterparts 7 and 1. Despite what V thinks (saying this man's full name is simply too painful), beating Duke doesn't automatically mean you're a lock to be a top 10 team all season. Both of these teams have flaws that will be exposed in the future.
Flipping back and forth, I also caught much of UCLA's impressive 73-68 win over Kentucky. While 18 points and 5 boards isn't Earth shattering, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute's play was extremely impressive. This is a kid who didn't score double digits until his 6th game last year and never had more than 15 all last season. With 24 in the season opener, and 18 last night, Mbah a Moute is on pace to be one of the season's most improved players. Its hard to imagine anyone else that has improved so much in the past two years. Perhaps Josh McRoberts should take some lessons from Luc Richard..
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1