Daily Dribble: Monday Night Rewind
Here is everything you need to know about last night's college basketball action. Well, at least here's 10 things you need to know:
1. Duke can score points. They finished with 111 against Albany, shot 60% from the floor and 58% from three. Granted, at 5-5, Albany's not a powerhouse right now, but they also hadn't loss by more than 9 before last night. 41 was the final damage though.
2. Taylor King should have his own special three-point line 24 inches beyond the regular arc. It wouldn't deter him from shooting anyways.. and it would add a bit of intrigue to Duke games.
3. Freshman Tim Ambrose made a strong case that he should start for the Great Danes. He had been averaging about 14 mpg coming in to last night, before exploding for 24 points in 29 minutes. Including the previous game against SFNY, Ambrose has 41 points in 45 minutes.
4. Abdulai Jalloh has been a great pick up for James Madison. The Dukes are 7-1 right now, matching last season's win total. The Saint Joseph's transfer, who had 23 points last night, is a big reason why.
5. Eastern Illinois almost got their first D1 win last night.. but dropped to 0-9 and now 0-3 in OVC play against EKU. There's always the next game.. or something like that.
6. Tony Lee of Robert Morris is quietly putting up some big-time numbers. The senior guard is 3rd in the country at 7.3 assists per game, along with 7.5 rpg and 14.0 ppg. These are the type of numbers that Jamont Gordon of Missisippi State is supposed to be putting up.
7. USC's 83-54 win over Delaware State was pretty uneventful. One positive for the Trojans was that OJ Mayo had a +2 or more assist to turnover ratio for just the 2nd time this year. 4 assists to 2 turnovers is as good as it gets.
8. Nik Raivio is picking up where his older brother Derek left off. Coming of a 23-point effort against Washington,he scored a game-high 28 against EWU. Even though Portland's 3-8, they can take refuge in the fact 2 of their 3 leading scorers are first time players in Raivio and German Robin Smeulders.
9. San Diego State avoided what could have been a disastrous loss, by beating Navy 86-76. The Aztecs were down at half, before responding with a 51-39 second half. At 9-2 and in a competitive MWC, SDSU still has a chance at making the Big Dance. A loss to Navy would probably have ended their at-large hopes.
10. Steven Gray suited up for the first in a Gonzaga uniform last night, scoring 12 points in his debut against Northern Colorado. Gray is another piece of the puzzle, along with Josh Heytvelt, who still hasnt returned from a broken foot.