Daily Dribble: Sunday Recap
I'm back after a little Thanksgiving weekend break. Hope everyone had a nice holiday. As always, the concept is simple. A recap of yesterday's action in 15 quick bullet-points. We begin:
1. Ohio State destroying VMI isn't a big deal. But holding the Keydets to 57 points is a huge deal. VMI hasn't scored under 70 points in over a year, and they hadn't scored under 60 since the end of the 05-06 season.
2. Tied with 20 seconds to go at Kansas and the ball in their hands, the best Arizona could do was a jumper from Bret Breilmaier. Really Kevin O'Neil?
3. For Kansas fans, it was good to see Brandon Rush playing 30+ minutes for the first time in almost 6 months. Rush played well with 17 points and 8 boards in the OT win.
4. No team has fallen farther than Mississippi State early in the season. Thought by many to be a Top 25 team, the Bulldogs are now 3-3 after falling to Miami (OH).
5. On the flipside, Miami's had a very solid 3-1 start with a win over Xavier and now MSU, and a very close loss to USC. Sharp-shooting junior Michael Bramos has been a big reason why.
6. There was more people in my house for Thanksgiving dinner than people in the crowd to watch the consolation games at the Anaheim Classic.
7. Give George Mason credit for coming back from an ugly 14-2 defecit to beat South Carolina. Will Thomas, who scored 22 points, was CHN's Star of the Day.
8. Everyone knows Taylor King can light it up from deep (he had 6 threes for 27 points last night against EKU), but it remains to be seen whether he can do it against a real defense in a game that matters.
9. Villanova lost in a heartbreaker to NC state, 69-68. I still can't tell if the deciding foul call was really bad, or actually gutsy. For NC State, who probably wont beat another Top 25 non-conference team, this turn of events was huge for their postseason hopes.
10. Hasn't been a banner year for the MVC so far outside of SIU. But Missouri State's had a nice start, 4-1 after beating Winthrop down in South Carolina. It was Winthrop's first loss in 25 games.
11. Washington State still gets no love from the media (myself included), but yet they're chugging away at 6-0. Kyle Weaver made a run at a triple-double against Air Force with 15 points, 8 boards, and 8 assists.
12. Just cause you're a BCS team, doesn't automatically make you great. See Penn State, with back to back neutral losses to Rider and UCF.
13. Also see Rutgers who barely beat Dartmouth at home earlier in the week, and lost to in-state rival St. Peter's on Sunday. The Peacocks were 5-25 last year.
14. How come the MAAC sponsored a tournament in Florida (the Old Spice Classic.) That would be like the Big East running something in Seattle.
15. I'm not a huge fan of Missouri's talent, but Mike Anderson can coach and the Tigers 5-1 record is no fluke.