2. It should be noted that UK was without Patrick Patterson, who injured his ankle the previous day.. but still, results are results, and the Wildcats resume looks more like Eastern Kentucky than Kentucky.
3. Another team whose season is slipping away is Southern Illinois. The Salukis were putrid on offense once again, shooting just 27% against Western Michigan. With back to back losses at mediocre teams like SLU and WMU, SIU’s at-large chances are kaput.
4. Saluki center, and reigning MVC Player of the Year, Randal Falker has regressed. If you take away a few good minutes against SLU, he’s a ridiculously bad 5 of 27 from the field against Charlotte, Saint Mary’s, and Western Michigan. He’s also fouled out in 2 of those 4 games, and managed only 3 blocks.
5. The Jayhawks haven’t exactly rolled in their two road games, winning by 4 at USC, and 5 at Georgia Tech. The close game in LA doesn’t surprise you.. but the Jackets couldn’t even beat UNCG at home. Perhaps these close results foreshadow KU struggles in Big 12 road games.
6. Oral Roberts played Texas to a standstill in the first half, keeping the score 33-all before the Longhorns pulled away. I did a quick interview yesterday for a paper in Oklahoma, who asked which team in the state had the best chance at making the NCAA Tournament. I put the odds at ORU 4-1, Oklahoma 7-1, Oklahoma State 25-1 and Tulsa 150-1..
7. Perhaps I shouldn’t have been so harsh towards Tulsa, who has won 3 straight including a nice win over Charlotte last night. But realistically, their chances of surpassing Memphis and winning the CUSA tournament is about 500-1.
8. Rick Pitino finally got his 500th win last night, against Marshall. The Cardinals got Derrick Caracter back in the lineup, and he came through with 18 points in just 23 minutes. This game was neck and neck for 24 minutes, which isn’t a good sign though.
9. UCLA blew by Western Illinois and has just 2 games left before conference play. Barring some kind of disaster in Ann Arbor, the Bruins will head into January with a solid 12-1 record. Don’t be surprised if they retake the top spot in the polls at some point.
10. Only a couple years back it seemed like Washington was a hot program, now the 6-4 Huskies are forgotten.
11. How bout my man Jon Diebler. The much maligned freshman shot 6-7 from the floor against Cleveland State, and 5-6 from three. At least his FG% is now firmly above the Mendoza Line.
12. Congrats to USC-Upstate, getting their first D1 win of the year.. at SMU. Not a good sign for the Mustangs.