CHN released its official Preseason All-American list this morning, as voted on by CHN staffers. Here's my own personal take on the selections, and who should be given more or less respect.
CollegeHoops.net Preseason High-Major Player of the Year: Eric Maynor (VCU)
- This was a close one as Jeremy Pargo, Robert Vaden, and Lee Cummard all received POY votes. Maynor was my personal choice, so no complaints here.
CollegeHoops.net First Team High-Major All-America
- Cummard is really a guard, so the team is loaded with guards. In fact, Dionte Christmas (below) received the 5th highest amount of votes, but we don't allow all guard teams. Nevill is probably a little out of place here along with some truly great college ballplayers. But he definitely will put up numbers this season, and Utah could surprise many.
Team High-Major All-America
|Ahmad Nivins||St. Joseph's||SR||F|
- As mentioned, Christmas could easily have made the 1st team, particularly over Cummard in my opinion. Brown and Daye might be given too much respect here. Daye obviously has oodles of talent, but seemed lost at times last year. Bouldin, Gray, and Heytvelt are arguably more important to Gonzaga's success this season. Brown is solid, but probably not this good. I think people cling to him because they want to give a solid Xavier team some respect. CJ Anderson might be just as good, but he's not a highlight-reel player. Anderson, as mentioned below, was snubbed from our Honorable Mention list. Nivins is rock solid, and the best big in the A-10.
CollegeHoops.net Third Team High-Major All-America
- When all is said and done, Adams might be the most underrated player on this list. UNLV is a legitimate Top 25 contender, and he excels not only on offense but on defense. If Wright progresses as expected, he'll put up better numbers than Brown above. Jordan is an intriguing player, who came on late last year. If he plays all season like he played from March on last year, he could average 15, 10, and 4.5 blocks per game. Young is interesting, because his respect is mostly due to Drake's sick 07-08 season. If the Bulldogs regress under a new coach, you might not hear his name again all season.
CollegeHoops.net Honorable Mention High-Major All-American
|Osiris Eldridge||Illinois St||JR||G|
|Bryan Mullins||Southern Illinois||SR||G|
|Lorenzo Wade||San Diego St||SR||F|
|Gary Wilkinson||Utah State||SR||F|
|Jeremy Wise||Southern Miss||JR||G|
- No major complaints with anyone on this list. Heytvelt is intriguing because he was so bad last year.. but still has potential to be a First teamer. Gary Wilkinson is an underrated force for a Utah State program that always manages to be decent. Wise to me, was overrated last year, as he put up good scoring numbers, but was horribly inefficient, and played for a sub-par squad. Look for Jenkins to have a huge breakout season for Hofstra. Lavoy Allen only averaged 8 & 6 last year, but he's a hugely important player for Temple. If he has as big a season as we expect, Temple is a legit Top 30-40 team.. if not, then the Owls could be one of this season's busts.
To me Brandon Ewing is the guy who most deserved to make one of the first Three teams. Particularly over a Daye, Stinnett, or Young. Ewing is the MWC's leading returning scorer, who has already scored 1,500 points in his career.
Some snubs that possibly could have made Honorable Mention: Tasheed Carr (underrated lead guard on St. Joe's), CJ Anderson (as mentioned earlier), Theron Wilson (Bradley forward could have big season), Tre'Von Willis (Memphis transfer expected to play big role for UNLV), and Luke Babbitt (Nevada freshman with huge expectations).