VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH (11-4, 2-1 CAA) AT DREXEL (9-5, 1-2 CAA)
Time/TV: 8 p.m./CSN, CSS
Location: John A. Daskalakis Center
RPI Rankings: Virginia Commonwealth 84; Drexel 130
Line: Drexel -1
VCU Players to Watch: F Bradford Burgess, 6-6 Sr. (13.9 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 36.8% 3s); F Juvonte Reddic, 6-9 So. (9.5 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 56.1% FG); G Darius Theus, 6-3 Jr. (8.4 ppg, 4.7 apg, 46.8% FG).
Drexel Players to Watch: F Samme Givens, 6-5 Sr. (12.8 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 58.2% FG); G Chris Fouch, 6-2 Jr. (11 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.1 apg); G Frantz Massenat, 6-4 So. (11.9 ppg, 3.9 apg, 43.4% 3s).
Storyline: Drexel was the pre-season pick to win the Colonial, but the Dragons have struggled with injuries and inconsistency and are 9-5 overall and 1-2 in the CAA. VCU was 3-3 early, but had won eight in a row until Wednesday’s home loss to Georgia State, which is unbeaten in league play.
Keys to Victory: VCU’s pressure defense could be the difference. The Rams are averaging 10.3 steals per game and forcing 18.3 turnovers per game. The Dragons play tough, physical defense and will need to against the balanced Rams' offense. They’ll also need to dominate on the boards, where they usually have a significant advantage. Fouch has been up-and-down, but when he’s good, Drexel is awfully tough to beat - especially at home.
The Bottom Line: This is another CAA game that could go either way. Drexel’s gym is tough on visitors and the Dragons need this victory to stay in the league race.
The Pick: Drexel 59, VCU 55.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1