BERKELEY, CA -Pete Newell, the Hall of Fame basketball coach who won an NCAA championship and Olympic gold medal and later tutored some of the game's greatest big men, died Monday. He was 93.
His death was confirmed by the University of California, the school Newell coached to a national title in 1959. Newell, who had been living near San Diego, had a serious lung operation in 2005.
The Story: ESPN is featuring its first annual College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon starting at 11:59 pm tonight (Nov. 17). The marathon will start with UMass at No. 12 Memphis and it concludes with tomorrow night's game of Kentucky at No. 1 North Carolina. The new initiative attempts to highlight the beginning of 2008-09 men's college basketball season. During this marathon ESPN programs will include a game from five different U.S. time zones-Eastern, Central, Mountain, Pacific, and Hawaiian.
The Story: Tennessee freshman point guard Daniel West has been ruled academically ineligible for this season. He had not practiced with the team since workouts began on October 17 due to his eligibility clearance issue. Coach Bruce Pearl insisted that West had done well in summer courses and that he did not expect this problem to arise. "The frustration is he passed many checks and balances and was in summer school and did very well," Pearl said.
The Story: Georgia Tech guard Lewis Clinch will miss at least the first seven games of the season because of poor grades. Coach Paul Hewitt announced that Clinch will return to the team after the fall semester, which ends December 12, if he can regain his eligibility. Clinch averaged 23.5 minutes per game last year and started 14 of 32 games for the Yellow Jackets. Georgia Tech has already lost team captain D'Andre Bell this year to season ending surgery to correct a spinal condition.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1