For a refresher, check out the Big East Quiz Questions.
1. The two new coaches who were head coaches at other schools last year are Bobby Gonzalez at Manhattan and Mick Cronin at Murray State
2. Andy Kennedy at Mississippi and Gary Waters at Cleveland State are the two former Big East coaches now coaching at different D-1 schools.
3. Hilton Armstrong, Josh Boone, Rudy Gay, and Marcus Williams from UConn, Randy Foye and Kyle Lowry from Villanova, and Quincy Douby from Rutgers are the seven Big East players who were chosen in the first round of the 2006 NBA draft.
4. Denham Brown from UConn, Solomon Jones from South Florida, Steve Novak from Marquette, and James White from Cincinnati are the four Big East players selected in the second round of the 2006 NBA draft.
5. Name all 16 head coaches in the conference.
Cincinnati – Mick Cronin
Connecticut – Jim Calhoun
DePaul – Jerry Wainwright
Georgetown – John Thompson lll
Louisville – Rick Pitino
Marquette – Tom Crean
Notre Dame – Mike Brey
Pittsburgh – Jamie Dixon
Providence – Tim Welsh
Rutgers – Fred Hill
Seton Hall – Bobby Gonzalez
South Florida – Robert McCullum
St. John’s – Norm Roberts
Syracuse – Jim Boeheim
Villanova – Jay Wright
West Virginia –John Beilein
6. The four highest-ranked incoming freshmen on RSCI are Vernon Macklin of Georgetown, Derrick Caracter of Louisville, Stanley Robinson of UConn, and Paul Harris of Syracuse.
7. One group of three incoming frosh that played together last year (at Notre Dame Prep) includes Derrick Caracter of Louisville, Paul Harris of Syracuse, and Lazar Hayward of Marquette. The other group of three that played together (at Rice High School in New York City) includes Curtis Kelly of UConn, Kashif Pratt of Seton Hall, and Edgar Sosa of Louisville.
8. The two guards who started together in the same backcourt last year (at St. Benedict’s in New Jersey) are David Cubillan of Marquette and Eugene Harvey of Seton Hall
9. Among returning players, the leader in each category (for conference games only) is:
a. Scoring Average - Dominic James of Marquette
b. Rebounding Average - Aaron Gray of Pittsburgh
c. Overall Shooting Percentage - Aaron Gray of Pittsburgh
d. Three Point Field Goals Made - Colin Falls of Notre Dame
e. Free Throw Percentage - David Padgett of Louisville
f. Assists - Dominic James of Marquette
g. Steals - Jerel McNeal of Marquette
h. Blocks - Darryl Watkins of Syracuse
i. Assist-to-Turnover Ratio - Marquis Webb of Rutgers
j. Minutes Played Per Game - Marquis Webb of Rutgers
10. Louie Carnesecca at St. John’s and John Thompson at Georgetown were previously elected to the College Basketball Hall of Fame.
11. The seven transfers from D-1 schools presently listed on rosters include:
a. Mike Cook of Pittsburgh
b. Patrick Ewing, Jr. of Georgetown
c. Kentrell Granberry of South Florida
d. Courtney Nelson of Rutgers
e. Jamie Smalligan of West Virginia
f. Jesus Verdejo of South Florida
g. Aris Williams of South Florida
12. The transfer who is presently not listed on his team’s roster is Keith Butler of DePaul.
13. The first-team junior college all-American presently at Cincinnati after originally committing to Duquesne is Hernol Hall.
14. The two junior college transfers entering the league that are not playing at Cincinnati are Trend Blackledge of Marquette and Avery Patterson of St. John’s.
15. The only school to return all five regular starters is St. John’s with Eugene Lawrence, Daryll Hill, Anthony Mason, Jr., Lamont Hamilton, and Aaron Spears.
16. The school that returns no starters is UConn as the Huskies lost Marcus Williams, Denham Brown, Rudy Gay, Josh Boone, and Hilton Armstrong, all of whom were drafted by the NBA last June.
17. The returning Big East starter who is from Canada is Levon Kendall of Pittsburgh.
18. Starting point guard Devan Downey of Cincinnati transferred to South Carolina.
19. The following schools are located in the following cities:
a. Connecticut is in Storrs.
b. Rutgers is in New Brunswick, NJ.
c. Seton Hall is in South Orange, NJ.
d. South Florida is in Tampa.
20. The school that has not appeared in the NCAA since 1991 is Rutgers.
21. The home court for each of the following teams is:
a. Cincinnati – Shoemaker Center
b. Georgetown – MCI Center
c. Louisville – Freedom Hall
d. Notre Dame – Joyce Center
e. Providence – Dunkin’ Donut Center
f. Syracuse – Carrier Dome
22. The individual who is credited with being the founder of the Big East is Dave Gavitt.
23. The current commissioner of the Big East is Mike Tranghese.
24. Two teams that are known to play primarily zone defense are Syracuse, usually a 2-3 zone, and West Virginia, which generally employs a 1-3-1 zone.
25. The team that uses a modified version of a well-known offense that is named after an Ivy League program is Georgetown, which uses a Princeton-style offense.
Return to the Big East Quiz Questions.