Vegas Odds: Tennessee -3.5
Why San Diego St. will win: The Aztec frontcourt will outperform Tennessee’s big men. Malcolm Thomas and Billy White will control the boards as well as combine for at least twenty points while freshman Kawhi Leonard will also produce. And point guard D.J. Gay will navigate Tennessee’s defense without turning the ball over.
Aztec to Watch: G D.J. Gay - 10 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg
Tennessee can still slap a good
full-court press on you, making Gay’s job as the point guard extremely important
in regards to the Aztecs’ chances of winning. If he can distribute as well as
put up some points himself this becomes a game that SDSU is more than capable of
Why Tennessee will win: Wayne Chism and Scotty Hopson will take over the game offensively and J.P. Prince will make smart decisions on that end of the floor. The Volunteers will force turnovers and control the boards against a San Diego State squad that doesn’t lack for size.
Volunteer to Watch: C Wayne Chism - 13 ppg, 7 rpg, 1 apg
The senior needs to play well against
a solid San Diego State frontcourt if the Volunteers are to win. Does he have to
score 20+ points? No, but he will need to defend and rebound against the likes
of Thomas, White and even Brian Carlwell.
How it will go down: Expect late-game dramatics from one of these teams in picking up the win. The pick here is San Diego State with the freshman Leonard having the last word. Aztecs by a basket.
Betting Pick: San Diego St. +3.5
Real Pick: San Diego St.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1