NEVADA (11-3, 1-0 WAC) AT UTAH STATE (9-6, 1-0 WAC)
Time/TV: 6 p.m./WSN, ESPN3
Location: Dee Glen Smith Spectrum
RPI Rankings: Nevada 99; Utah State 135
Line: Utah State -4.5
Nevada Players to Watch: PG Deonte Burton, 6-1 So. (14.9 ppg, 4.7 apg, 1.2 spg); F Olek Czyz, 6-7 Sr. (10.2 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 49.5% FG); F Dario Hunt, 6-8 Sr. (9.9 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 2.1 bpg). Burton, Czyz and Hunt could also have NBA careers.
Utah State Players to Watch: G Preston Medlin, 6-4 So. (14.7 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.3 apg); F Kyisean Reed, 6-6 Jr. (10.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 62.9% FG); G Brockeith Pane, 6-1 Sr. (10.8 ppg, 3.7 apg, 2.7 rpg). Pane still hasn’t broken out as has was expected to coming into this season, and that may be a scary thought for upcoming opponents.
Storyline: Nevada and Utah State, who both opened WAC play with victories, are expected to be two of the league’s frontrunners. Nevada, which features four of the WAC’s best players, has won 11 of its last 12 games. The defending WAC champion Aggies have won 5 of 6 after starting slow.
Keys to Victory: Utah State is always tough on defense, and the Wolfpack has the league’s most explosive offense. The point guard matchup between Pane and Burton will be fun to watch and critical in the outcome. Pane scored 35 points against Burton and the Aggies a year ago and has beaten the Wolfpack five straight seasons. Hunt could dominate on the inside against the smaller Aggies.
The Bottom Line: This is one game not to be missed on Saturday. It will almost certainly go down to the final handful of possessions. There’s no question Nevada has the most talented team in the WAC. There are still question marks about its toughness. Stealing a win at the hostile Spectrum takes a lot of toughness.
The Pick: Utah State 73, Nevada 70.
- Bracketology: Selection Sunday Projection
- Bracketology: Saturday Night NCAA Tournament Projection
- Non-BCS Top 25: Creighton, Colorado St Rise
- College Basketball Top 50: Indiana Ends Regular Season #1
- Non-BCS Top 25: Valpo Replaces BYU
- College Basketball Top 50: Maryland and Iowa St Drop Out
- Non-BCS Top 25: Davidson In, Wyoming Out
- College Basketball Top 50: #2 Gonzaga Hits All-Time High
- Non-BCS Top 25: Air Force, Davidson Making Moves
- College Basketball Top 50: Another Week, Another #1